header pictures for dedicated hosting services header image of world
Guests Visit the FreeBSD Forums  •  Login to the FreeBSD Forums  •  Register for FREE

iSCSI, Ethernet frames and raw disks - SAN for home network

09-07-2006, 12:40 AM
perfrej
BSD n00b

iSCSI, Ethernet frames and raw disks

Folks!
I'm currently in the process of making a low end SAN for my home network and opted for OpenBSD, mostly because I trust the BSD-tree more than the Linux-tree.

The iSCSI target works very well, however there are a few quirks that elude my mind.

1) Raw disks
I would like to use a totally unprepared disk for the target persistant storage. No filesystem from the BSD at all, just the raw blocks. I first tried with files just to verify everything, and it works fine. Now, in my config file I try the following:

extent0 /dev/wd1 0 117GB
target0 rw extent0 0/0

Now, this gives some interesting results... A 117GB file named /dev/wd0 is created. I did not see that one coming, and it took me a while to realize that wd1 wasn't event touched by iSCSI Target. I also tried /dev/rwd1 with the same result - a large file... And /dev/wd1e after preparing a partition on the disk... No go...

So, the question is, how the heck do I handle a completely raw device and expose it with iSCSI to the point that I theoretically could move it to another machine and actually use what iSCSI put on it from my remote system?

2) Ethernet. Occasionally, from Microsofts Initiator 2.1, I get 1516-byte ethernet frames that produce errors on the OpenBSD box. How do I tune OpenBSD to handle that size (yes, I know it is probably an MS problem and that 1514 is the going rate)?

All help appreciated!

Per Frejvall,
Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
09-07-2006, 04:13 AM

wilfried
Port Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfrej
1) Raw disks ...

Slice c is always the entire physical disk, so use /dev/rwd1c.
09-07-2006, 06:34 AM
perfrej
BSD n00b

Wow!

Thanks!

Amazing how simple answers can do a lot for you. It worked (of course).

Next, I'll try to make Windows 2003 send decent Etherenet frames in terms of MTU...

/perf
09-07-2006, 07:26 AM
perfrej
BSD n00b

Premature joy...

Nope...

***ERROR*** error opening "/dev/rwd1c"
***ERROR*** device_ini() failed

/perf
09-07-2006, 07:58 AM
perfrej
BSD n00b

Monologue...

It appears that /dev/wd1d works and should be the entire disk including partition table and all. Slice c seems to be the entire NetBSD partition. The "raw" type of device doesn't work, but the non-raw does. After having initialized and partitioned the iSCSI target pointed to by /dev/wd1d from a Windows-based iSCSI initiator, I can see the new partitioning from NetBSD with "fdisk /dev/wd1".

So, I guess it's non-raw.

Mission accomplished! Thanks!

/perf
09-07-2006, 08:33 AM
J65nko

In OpenBSD disklabel "c:" designates the complete disk. In FreeBSD, where you can have a disklabel set for each FreeBSD slice, label "c" covers the complete slice/MBR partition.

In NetBSD is like OpenBSD, just one disklabel for the complete disk, but NetBSD it is labelled as "d".

Looking for our FreeBSD Forums? We have moved them off our main page,just follow the link to our FreeBSD Forums page.

Copyright © 2009, WEBSERVER CONSUMER GUIDE

Privacy Policy

Please note:
(1) FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
(2) WEBSERVER CONSUMER GUIDE is in no way affiliated with The FreeBSD Foundation