header pictures for dedicated hosting services header image of world
Guests Visit the FreeBSD Forums  •  Login to the FreeBSD Forums  •  Register for FREE

linux-opera HOW-TO

Posted by mezz on 05-21-2003 09:49 PM:

linux-opera HOW-TO

First all, before you follow those how-to. It's a must to update your ports tree by CVSup and use the 'portupgrade -ra' to update the all apps that you have installed. Because, there have some bugs in the linux_base that made Flash6 and other Linux stuff don't work. Be sure to have your linux_base 7.1-4 version or above.

Current, I am a maintiner for the linux-opera7 (will be for linux-opera too), so if you have any of problem with it; plugins too. Please let me know by either PM, email or create a new thread in the general or app forums and I will see what I can do with it.

The each replies will have the different how-to of fonts, plugins or whatever.

Plugins work:
Flash5
Flash6
Acrobat Reader
linux-blackdown-jdk13
linux-blackdown-jdk14
linux-sun-jdk13
linux-sun-jdk14

Plugins not work:
linux-ibm-jdk13
linux-ibm-jdk14
RealPlayer8

If one of you can get those work, please contract me and show me how to do..

Posted by mezz on 05-21-2003 09:51 PM:

Anti-Aliased (AA) Fonts

1) The linux-opera7 is still depending on the Xft1, so you will need to add the XftConfig in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ .. Here's an attach to download it, which it doesn't exist in XFree86 4.3.x by default. Also, it will help to get linux-opera7 the better stability and much lesser crash.

# cp /path/to/xftconfig.txt /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XftConfig

2) Install the nice fonts made by Microsoft.

# cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/webfonts ; make install clean

After that, you need to add some lines in the /etc/X11/XF86Config following:

code:
Section "Files" ..... ..... FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts/" EndSection Section "Module" ..... ..... Load "type1" Load "freetype" EndSection

Save it and exit the X, then restart it.

3) Run your Opera and go to the File (menu) -> Preferences -> Fonts and colors (tree). All you have to do is double click on each list of types to choice what fonts you want to use. If you see something like 'font [Xft]', it means it's AA fonts for Xft1. I setup everything to 'Verdana [Xft]', but 'Courier [Xft]' for the text <PRE> and CSS monospace. Don't worry about the size, I just leave all of them as default and tweak the 'Minimum font size (pixels)' that will avoid the smaller font. I setup it as '11' to force the smalls font change to '11' pixels least.

4) If it doesn't work, please run 'opera -debugfont' and show me the output.
Posted by mezz on 05-21-2003 09:52 PM:

Flash5 Plug-in

NOTE: You should choice one version which you want to use Flash5 or Flash6. If you want the Flash6 Plug-in, skip this and go over to the next reply (bottom) for the Flash6 HOW-TO.

1) You will need to tweak the Makefile, which it was designed for Netscape.

# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin
# ee Makefile

Change from...

code:
PLUGINSDIR= lib/netscape-linux/plugins

to...
code:
USE_X_PREFIX= yes PLUGINSDIR= share/opera/plugins

Save and exit it.

# make install clean

2) Close Opera and run it again.

3) Test: http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/

4) If it doesn't work, please run 'opera -debugplugin', visit test link and show me the output.
Posted by mezz on 05-21-2003 09:53 PM:

Flash6 Plug-in

NOTE: You should choice one version which you want to use Flash5 or Flash6. If you want the Flash5 Plug-in, skip this and go over to the above reply for the Flash5 HOW-TO.

1) You will need to tweak the Makefile, which it was designed for Mozilla.

# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin6
# ee Makefile

Change from...

code:
PLUGINSDIR= lib/linux-mozilla/plugins

to...
code:
USE_X_PREFIX= yes PLUGINSDIR= share/opera/plugins

Save and exit it.

# make install clean

2) Close Opera and run it again.

3) Test: http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/

4) If it doesn't work, please run 'opera -debugplugin', visit test link and show me the output.
Posted by mezz on 05-21-2003 09:53 PM:

Acrobat Reader Plug-in

1)Install the Acrobat5

# cd /usr/ports/print/acroread5 ; make install clean

2) Close Opera and run it, then go to File (menu) -> Preferences -> File types (tree)

Untick the 'Hide file types opened with Opera' and you should see the more lists.

4) Double click on the 'application/pdf pdf' and click on 'Use plug-in'.. Also, leave it as 'No Name' and it still works.

5) Test: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/adobepdf.html

6) If it doesn't work, please run 'opera -debugplugin', visit test link and show me the output.

Posted by mezz on 05-21-2003 09:55 PM:

Java Plug-in

I have tested four different Linux Java plugins and they all work fine. All you have to do is choice one which you want to install and use it. Restart the Opera and it will pickup the Java plugin by automatic. If it doesn't pickup by automatic, please let me know.

/usr/ports/java/linux-blackdown-jdk13
/usr/ports/java/linux-blackdown-jdk14
/usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk13
/usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14

Which one do I recommend? Well, they all work great, but the 1.4.1 is faster than 1.3.1. Either sun or blackdown make no difference for the Opera.

I don't recommend linux-ibm-jdk, because it is not stable and will always crash the Opera.

Test: http://java.sun.com/getjava/showcase.html (choice one of game to play)

Don't listen to the Opera's about page, it always said no Java installed, which it's really already installed and work..

If it doesn't work, please run 'opera -debugjava', visit test link and show me the output.

Posted by tfcheng on 05-22-2003 08:44 PM:

Hi Mezz,
thanks for your work. I tried to do as u said but it didn't work. First, after I install XftConfig, my opera crash as "core dump". Does this mean that I am missing some fonts or..?
Second, I installed flashplugin6, it is under /usr/local/share/opera/plugins, but when I open File-> Preference-> Plugins, there is no flashplugin in the detected plugin, but the path is in the plugin-path beneath it. how can i let my opera find it? thanks!

Posted by mezz on 05-22-2003 10:13 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by tfcheng
First, after I install XftConfig, my opera crash as "core dump". Does this mean that I am missing some fonts or..?

Did you follow the step 2 and 3? Yes, you need to install the webfonts if you want to use my XftConfig.

quote:
Second, I installed flashplugin6, it is under /usr/local/share/opera/plugins, but when I open File-> Preference-> Plugins, there is no flashplugin in the detected plugin, but the path is in the plugin-path beneath it. how can i let my opera find it? thanks!

Did you go to the test page, yet? Did you restart Opera? Did you follow exactly in my how-to?
Posted by sgt_b on 05-28-2003 09:49 PM:

mezz,
Well, I followed each and every step for each and every post, and guess what....

Everything worked great! I'm very happy with my opera browser now. I was worried I'd have to switch to Mozilla, which I don't really like. Now Java is working, Flash looks nice, and I've got all the AA fonts set up. Looks really nice!

I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write these, I really appreciate the hard work.

Thanks!

Posted by LawJp on 06-18-2003 06:39 PM:

Thanks for the great write up! Everything works perfect, and I also got to learn how portupgrade works...RTFM right!

Posted by mezz on 06-18-2003 08:51 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by LawJp
I also got to learn how portupgrade works...RTFM right!

You can search for portupgrade in here too.. Well, the manpage is better thought..
Posted by tfcheng on 06-26-2003 10:01 PM:

hi, try to run flash plugin in opera, this is what i got by running opera -debugplugin:
---
plugin probing: /usr/X11R6/share/opera/plugins/libnpp.so
plugin: /usr/X11R6/share/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so, libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
plugin: /usr/local/share/opera/plugins/libnpp.so, /usr/local/share/opera/plugins/libnpp.so: ELF file OS ABI invalid
plugin probing: /usr/local/Acrobat4/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so
plugin probing: /usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so
plugin probing: /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns4/javaplugin.so
plugin probing: /usr/local/lib/netscape-linux/plugins/rpnp.so
--
any idea? thanks!

Posted by mezz on 06-26-2003 10:16 PM:

quote:
any idea? thanks!

Yes, you didn't follow on my very first post and paragraph.. Your flash isn't working, because you didn't update the linux_base.
Posted by tfcheng on 06-26-2003 10:29 PM:

sorry, my bad, i install linux_base 7, and now is working, My bad!
and do u know what libnpp is?
(i never know which linux_base to use :/)

Posted by mezz on 06-26-2003 10:56 PM:

quote:
do u know what libnpp is?

Yeah, it's something relate with proxy plugin for old netscape plugins that came with Opera by default. I noticed you have following:

plugin probing: /usr/X11R6/share/opera/plugins/libnpp.so
[...]
plugin: /usr/local/share/opera/plugins/libnpp.so, /usr/local/share/opera/plugins/libnpp.so: ELF file OS ABI invalid

To let you know that it's pretty safe to delete /usr/local/share/opera, which it's old stuff. The new opera is installed in the /usr/X11/share/opera; not in /usr/local/ anymore..

Looking for our FreeBSD Forums? We have moved them off our main page,just follow the link to our FreeBSD Forums page.

Copyright © 2009, WEBSERVER CONSUMER GUIDE

Privacy Policy

Please note:
(1) FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
(2) WEBSERVER CONSUMER GUIDE is in no way affiliated with The FreeBSD Foundation